I planned to ride with others cyclist from Epic Bikes in McDonough. I worked all night and only got home at 6:15AM. I got ready and had some breakfast before I left the house on my bike at 6:45AM. It was an 8 mile ride in the dark to the shop. I used a headlight and worn a reflective vest so that I'd be better seen.
Timeline of the day's events
- 6:45AM - I departed home on my bike enroute to Epic Bikes in McDonough
- 7:15AM - I arrived Epic Bikes
- 7:30AM - We departed Epic Bikes enroute to downtown McDonough
- 8:00AM - We arrived downtown McDonough
- 8:15AM - We departed McDonough enroute to the Decatur MARTA station parking lot
- 10:30AM - We arrived at the Decatur MARTA station
- 11:30AM - We arrived at the Georgia State Capitol
- 12:15PM - We departed the capitol
- 3:00PM - We arrived back at Epic Bikes
- 3:30PM - I arrived back at home thanks to Ken who gave me a ride in his car
|Epic Bikes in McDonough|
|Henry County Police Department escort from Epic Bikes (the sun is just coming up)|
|Chad standing by the Jail House Brewing truck (in Decatur)|
Just outside of McDonough we were stopped by a freight train.
|Waiting for a train to pass|
|At the railroad crossing|
|A picture before we left McDonough|
|Chad's view from the Jail House Brewing truck|
|Ken and Frank|
|Carlos, Tim, Eric, Michael and Junior ready to ride the last few miles to the capitol|
|Other cyclists in Decatur|
|Scott getting a bit to eat as we prepare to leave the MARTA parking lot in Decatur|
|A rider from Griffin, Georgia in our group|
|Riders lineup to leave Decatur|
The announcer said that 2500 riders made it to the capitol. I have to agree. It was packed. The weather was perfect for a bike ride; mid-50's at the start and in the low-80's at the finish. We all got sunburned.
Ultimately, I rode 85.65 miles on Tuesday. It was a long ride and an even longer day!