|The pre-ride briefing|
What is a concussion? Basically, it's a trauma to the brain. To find out more about the causes and symptoms follow this link.
What is the treat for a concussion?
Call 911 if: The person keeps vomiting, has unequal pupils or loss of vision, has weakness or numbness on one side of the body, is very confused or unable to wake up, has a seizure, or has persistent bleeding from a scalp injury after 5-10 minutes of firm pressure.
- Prevent Swelling and Further Injury - Stop activity and rest. Apply ice.
- Treat Symptoms - Take over-the-counter acetaminophen (Tylenol). Aspirin or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) taken right after an injury may make bruising worse.
- Watch Symptoms -Monitor the person for 24 hours. Watch for symptoms.
- When to Call a Doctor - Loss of consciousness, changes in vision, headache that lasts or gets worse, any vomiting after a head injury, increased drowsiness or dizziness, lasting memory loss, neck pain or stiffness after a fall.
- Follow Up - Symptoms should get better in 7 to 10 days. Take pain medication as directed. Talk to your health care provider about when it is safe to return to sports and/or work. Rest as much as possible as long as any symptoms of the head injury last.
|This Garmin 310XT didn't fair so well in the fall|
|This helmet is missing a chunk of foam|
Wishes for a speedy recovery to my injured fellow cyclist!