Than I laid out the numbers on the new mat. The mat was about 3" too small.
I drew a line down the center of the mat with a marker.
I cut the mat in half and rounded the corners with a pair of scissors.
I used a hole punch to put holes in the corners of the mat.
With a few of the numbers long gone to the bottom of the lake and some the remaining numbers rather tattered, I bought new numbers at the local Home Depot for $0.68 each. The new numbers are reflective.
I laid out the new numbers on the mat. Even without the "-" the numbers were too wide.
With a paper cutter I trimmed the first "1" and last "1" (and the "2" for the second kayak) to make them fit.
I marked the mat 1" from the bottom and stuck the numbers on the mat from right to left.