|A before picture of our landscaping|
Anyone will tell you that using a front tine can be tough. My ordeal was no different. Even though I had removed the root ball for approximately thirty, twenty-five year old shrubs the red Georgia clay soil was still compacted and full of smaller roots. Eventually, over a week or so and between torrential thunderstorms, I was able to get the soil just the way I wanted it.
With the soil ready to receive new plants Susan and I just needed to know what to plant. We went to our local plant nursery where we bought three shrubs. The nursery is less than 3 miles from my house so Susan asked if someone could come by and recommend which plants might do best for our situation. The plants would have to tolerate full sun. They said they'd be happy to drop by but they never did. She called twice. Both times they said they'd be there. They never came. Moving on , Susan called a landscape designer with more than 20 years of experience, but no references. We passed! Lastly, Susan searched the Internet for someone to help us with a landscape plan. We planned to do the work ourselves, we just wanted a list of plants and some advice as to spacing, etc.
We drove the short distance to Wilson Bros. Nursery just east of McDonough one Saturday morning. The place was abuzz with customers and salespeople. They had a large selection of plants and Susan took notes as she saw ones she liked. Eventually, she met and picked up the business card for Zachary M. Davis, owner of ZMD Landscaping (tel.: (706) 982-4185). Zac asked her to call for an appointment and he'd come on by and workout a plan for us. When Zac arrived I'd already taken measurements and printed a drawing I'd created using Microsoft Publisher. It was basically a landscape plan without the plants. It was the third plan I'd created for the front yard in 10 years however, the first two plans were never acted upon. We also gave Zac several 8.5" x 11" color pictures of the area we wanted to landscape. We were very happy with his plant selections.
The third time's a charm! In about a week Zac had taken my outline and, on a 11" x 17" sheet of paper, filed in the space where we'd removed the old plants with new and interesting plants. The plan called for Degroot's Spire Arborvitae(1), Sky Pencil Holly(3), Acoma Crape Myrtle(2), Blue Juncas Grass(1), Japanese Maple(1) - not shown in plan drawing, Popcorn Drift Rose(3), Purple Pixie Loropetalum(2), Creeping Jenny(12), Day Lilies (3 bunches), Blue Rug Juniper (10), Weeping Crape Myrtle (2), Rose Creek Abelia(6), Adagio Maiden Grass(1), Homestead Purple Verbena(12), Harbour Dwarf Nandina(6), Fire Witch Dianthus(14), Snow White Indian Hawthorn(2), Kaleidoscope Abelia(2), and Twist of Lime Abelia(1). The plan cost us $200. Susan and I met Zac Davis at the nursery the following week. He helped us choose each plant. My truck bed was filled to the brim with greenery.
|Landscape plan - left side|
|Landscape plan - right side|
|Degroot's Spire Arborvitae|
|Sky Pencil Holly|
|Acoma Crape Myrtle|
|Blue Juncas Grass|
|Popcorn Drift Rose|
|Purple Pixie Loropetalum|
|Blue Rug Juniper|
|Rose Creek Abelia|
|Adagio Maiden Grass|
|Homestead Purple Verbena|
|Harbour Dwarf Nandina|
|Fire Star Dianthus|
|Snow White Indian Hawthorn|
|Twist of Lime Abelia|
Many of the plants we bought were on sale, 20% off. Zac took an additional 10% off the whole lot of them. We left the nursery about $860 lighter but overall we both felt like we got a great deal. I'd also have to relocate three clusters of day-lilies and plant a weeping Japanese Maple tree we bought on a whim at Costco before we started the project.
In addition to the plants, we'd bought to large boulders, and smaller stones. They would be the first to go in, before the plants. We found the boulders and stones at American Stone Company in Stockbridge, Georgia.
|American Stone Company|
|Boulders and stones up front, mulch in the back|
|Stone and plants in place|
|The finished project|
|Plants and mulch in place|
|More plants and mulch|
|Another view of the finished project|
|A final view showing stones in the back leading to the gas meter and sprinkler box|
Soil Amendments $40
Boulders and Stones $724
Plants (and more amendments) $860
Weeping Japanese Maple tree $130
Overall, I think the project tuned out well. We tackled this project a bit late in the year just as the heat of summer is setting in. Some of the pictures show the stress that the new plants are under. We're hopeful that most of the plants will survive. Daily watering is definitely in order.
The total cost of the project was about $2484 (and many hours of hard work and a tiller, of course).
The cost of not having to trim shrubs - priceless!
I still need to repair the outdoor lighting system and plant the three shrubs we bought at the local nursery. After that, our next project will be to reclaim some of the natural area in the front yard with new Zoysia grass sod.
Thanks for reading.